ADDRESS DELIVERED AT THE 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF OGUN-GUANGDONG FREE TRADE ZONE, IGBESA,
ADDRESS DELIVERED BY THE GOVERNOR OF OGUN STATE,
HIS EXCELLENCY, PRINCE DAPO ABIODUN, MFR,
AT THE 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF
OGUN-GUANGDONG FREE TRADE ZONE, IGBESA,
HELD ON TUESDAY, 26TH NOVEMBER, 2019
On behalf of the Government and good people of Ogun State, I join others to welcome home, once again, very specially, one of our own, His Excellency, the Vice President of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo GCON. Only three weeks ago, His Excellency was here for the Groundbreaking Ceremony of Wagon Assembly Plant in Ogun State. It is with a sense of pleasure to note that each time Your Excellency visit home, it is to mark a positive landmark in the process of the continued development of our dear State, in particular, and the Nation, at large. Also, I welcome the Honourable Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, His Excellency, Otunba Adeniyi Adebayo. I congratulate the Chairman; Management and staff of Ogun Guangdong Free Trade Zone, Igbesa, for the 10 Year Anniversary of the facility. It is to our joy to have such a giant business entity here with us in Ogun State.
2. Let me also commend the conception behind the establishment of the Free Trade Zones in Ogun State. On behalf of the government and good people of Ogun State, I commend His Excellency, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, under whose Administration these Free Trade Zones were established. Free Trade Zone (FTZ) is a veritable platform to help boost economic development of any Nation. Its benefits are not limited to reducing the fiscal intervention and levelling borders between nations but also increasing commercial flow; deferral, reduction or duty exemption; improved compliance; inventory tracking; quality control and indefinite storage. No doubt, the Free Trade Zones have continued to develop commerce and industrialization in our dear State.
3. Ogun State is so blessed to have two Free Trade Zones – Ogun Guangdong Free Trade Zone, Igbesa, for which we are gathered today; and, Olokola Free Trade Zone in Ode-Omi, Ogun Waterside. Our Administration will therefore ensure that these two Free Trade Zones are among our priorities to boost the socio-economic development of our dear State.
4. Today’s event is another milestone in our Administration’s march towards industrialization and economic development of Ogun State. We are not unaware of the resultant effect of the Free Trade Zones in terms of employment generation; poverty alleviation, job creation, local patronage, capacity building and perhaps, product varieties, which in the long run, put our dear State on the global map of trade and investment. It is noteworthy to mention that this facility has grown beyond a Free Trade Zone to a community in its own class. And as such, a comprehensive development of commerce, processing of goods and manufacturing of varieties of products with the use of local raw materials and inputs have really boosted the economy of our dear State at large.
5. On this note, let me enjoin the Management and Staff of Ogun Guangdong Free Trade Zone and all other stakeholders to keep the flag flying. You are implored to uphold best practices, ethical standard, competitiveness and innovation as well as Corporate Social Responsibilities to your host community as worthy investors in our dear State. And, I believe that the host community will also continue to provide enabling environment of cordial relationship which will foster socio-economic development of our dear State.
6. I wish to reiterate that our Administration remains unwavering in our commitment to creating a secure and business-friendly environment in all parts of Ogun State. With the plan to make Ogun State economic friendly to investors, our Administration has carried out Stakeholder forum on the passage of the Public Private Partnership Law of Ogun State, 2019 with the aim of attracting more investors to the State and creating standardised template for Private sector to partner with us. We appreciate the immense contributions of the Private sector and all our partners in the successful implementation of “Building our Future Together” Agenda.
7. As I end this address, I therefore call on investors and other players in the industrial sector to emulate Ogun Guangdong Free Trade Zone, Igbesa, by identifying critical areas of investment that will really touch the socio-economic well-being of our people. Suffice to say that opportunities still abound in the State for investments in power, technology, industrial components, and exploitation of mineral products, amongst many others.
8. Once again, I welcome very specially, His Excellency, the Vice President of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo GCON; and the Honourable Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, His Excellency, Otunba Adeniyi Adebayo. I also congratulate, the entire Management of Ogun Guangdong Free Trade Zone on the 10 Year Anniversary and for being a good partner in progress with Ogun State.
9. I thank you all for listening and God bless.
Prince Dapo Abiodun MFR,
Governor of Ogun State, Nigeria.
Tuesday, 26th November, 2019