BRIEF ON THE MINISTRY
The Ministry of Women Affairs, Social Welfare and Community Development was created in June 2004 from the defunct Ministry of Industries and Social Development. In 2007, the restructuring of the government agencies led to the removal of the Community Development arm from the Ministry. Thus, the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Welfare stood as a full-fledged Ministry till the inception of the present administration. In July 2011, the report of the Transition Work Group to the present Executive Council on “Gender and Human Development” was harmonized with the existing programmes of the Ministry and a four year Strategic Action Plan spanning 2011 - 2015 was developed. The Vision, Mission, Goals, Functions and Responsibilities of the Ministry were equally reviewed in line with Social Development and Mission to Rebuild Agenda of the State Government.
Arising from this exercise, the Governor in Council approved the change of the Ministry’s name to Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development in August 2011.In the same vein, two (2) new Departments were created in addition to the existing five (5) towards the realization of Social Development and the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the State.
Block B, New Secretariat Complex, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, Ogun State
P.M.B 2225 Sapon, Abeokuta.
Dr. (Mrs) Oluranti .O. Oladeinde
Mrs. Abiola Muheebat Gbadamosi (08037015284 | email@example.com)
To build a just society devoid of discrimination against women, ensure continuous empowerment and protection of the Rights of Children.
To invest in women, men, young and old in a gender responsive manner through participatory approaches for sustainable development of the State.
To build a sustainable livelihood for women, promote integration for vulnerable ones and discourage Gender disparity/ all forms of Child abuse.
To promote and pursue programmes towards the attainment of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITY
- To promote Gender Equality and provide Empowerment facilities for Socio-economic Development
- To promote the survival, protection, participation and development of children
- To promote family harmony and reduce juvenile delinquency
- To provide care, support, rehabilitation and empowerment for the vulnerable groups(challenged persons, older persons, destitute and the likes)
- To collaborate and network with Non-Governmental Organisations, Professional Institutions and other MDAs on issues affecting women, children/vulnerable ones.
- Prevention and treatment of juvenile Delinquency.
- Care and protection of abandoned babies.
- Placement of abandoned children in suitable homes, by adoption/ fostering
- School/Social Work: detection and treatment of School related Socio/academic problems.
- Prevention and treatment of matrimonial dislocations.
- Care and protection of the older person.
- Registration, Servicing and Support to Orphanages.
- Provision and Organization of training programmes for Professional Social Worker
- Appointment of Family Court Assessors
- Appointment and Gazetting of Probation Officers, Deputy Probation Officers and Ass. Probation Officer.
- Matrimonial Reconciliation/Family Harmony Programme.
- Daily upkeep of children in both Stella Obasanjo Children’s Home and Juvenile Remand Home.
- Marriage Guidance Council Programmes.
- Skill Acquisition training programme for the children in the Remand Home
- Renovation and replacement of faulty facilities in the two Homes. (Stella Obasanjo Children’s Home and Juvenile Remand Home).
- Capacity building for Social Workers
- Continuous Workshop/Training for Caregivers in all Registered Orphanages in Ogun State.
- Celebration of International Days of the Family/Day of the Older Persons.
- Registration /Monitoring of Registered Orphanages in the State.
- School Social Work.
- Normal /Relative Adoption.
- Construction of Older Persons Centre in Abeokuta.
- Establishment/Renovation of Area Offices in the Twenty (20) Local Government Areas.
- Monitoring of Family Courts.
- Capacity Building for Guardian Counselors in Secondary Schools in major cities in Ogun State.
- Renovation/Consessioning of the Recreational Centre, Ilo-Awela.
- Implementation of the policy on keeping Children safe in all Child Care Institution.
Mr. Egbeolowo Kehinde Oladimeji
- Coordination of Children’s Parliament.
- Monitoring, Supervision and Registration of Day Care Centres and Crèches.
- Coordination of Children’s Programmes in the Local Government e.g. Children’s Day Celebration – 27th May, Day of African Child – 16th June, Collaborate with Local Government Community Development Department, Collaborate with Zonal Education Offices on, Collaborate with NGOs working on children issues.
- Protects the rights of the Child through the eradication of child labour, child neglect, child trafficking and other forms of child abuse.
- Ensuring the implementation of the Child Rights Act at both State and Local Government Levels.
- Initiating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programmes on child survival, protection, participation and development in the State.
- Registration and supervision of crèches and Daycare Centres in the State.
- Assent of Amended Child Rights Law in Ogun State.
- Leadership Training, Sittings and Courtesy visits of the 4th Set of Ogun State Children’s Parliament.
- Annual Holiday camp for Ogun State Children’s Parliamentarians.
- Celebration of International Children’s Day.
- Provision of Support for the monthly meeting of the Child Protection Network (CPN)
- Develop the Child safe guarding Policy.
- Enlightenment campaign on the media on all forms of Child abuse/trafficking
- Resuscitation of task force on Street children.
- Collaboration with relevant MDAs/NGOs to provide succour for Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) and the less privilege Children such as UNICEF,TDH,SACA, NAPTIP, Police.
- Completion of an-ongoing project at Stella Obasanjo Children’s Home, Ibara Abeokuta.
- Provision of monitoring vehicle for monitoring of Children roaming the street during school hours
- Constitution of local Government Children Parliament in all L.G.As.
Mr. Akinola Toyin Kayode
- Coordination of the activities of other Departments in the Ministry.
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Projects, Targets setting of the Ministry.
- Preparation of Monthly and Quarterly Progress Reports as well as Annual Reports of the Ministry’s Programmes and Projects.
- Collection, Collation, Analyzing, Interpretation and Publication of Information for Policy Making.
- Computerization of the Activities of the Ministry for an efficient Management Information system.
- Research into areas of interest of the Ministry with the aim of building a viable data for reference purposes.
- Regular In-House Training for Social Welfare Officers
- Production of the Ministry Magazine ‘Gender Milestone’
- A server Based Network for the Ministry.
- Creation of a Mini Library.
Kolapo Larry Ilori
- Responsible for making payments.
- Maintenance of accounting records and generating financial reports.
- Proper Monitoring and Accounting for Revenue.
- Budget Preparation and ensuring effective budget control.
- Advising Accounting Officer and other Departmental Heads on all financial matters and technical provisions of financial instructions.
Mrs. Olufunmilola Olukemi Osibodu
- Establishment Matters: Appointment,Promotion,Training,Welfare and Discipline of staff through the appropriate Personnel Management Committee
- Procurement and Maintenance of office Equipment, Furniture and General Supplies.
- NYSC Matters
- Providing other Information as may be required by other Agencies/Parastatals.
Fadairo Bolanle Olatoni (Mrs.)
- The department is charged with the responsibility of improving the economic and social political standard of women.
- Acquainting the women folk with technical skills and knowledge.
- Giving adequate assistance to improve the health nutrition and sanitary condition of women.
- Providing market contact for Women Groups and NGOs in the State and Local Government Areas for the promotion of Trade and Industry among women.
- Ensuring total elimination of all forms of discrimination and violence against women.
- Ensuring enforcement of Child Right Act, elimination of Child Labour and Child Trafficking through public enlightenment programme.
- Providing Revolving Loan for various Women Groups through Implementing Partners.
- Training for Journalist on Gender Based Violence (GBV) Response and Ways of reporting GBV.
- Conduct update learning session for Gender Desk Officers and Budget Officers on Gender Mainstreaming Gender Responsive Budgeting using UNFPA supported Toolkit.
- Provide Technical support for the Ogun State House Committee members of Women Affairs and the Principal Officers of the State House of Assembly on the passage of Equal Opportunity and Gender Based Violence Bills of Ogun State.
- Provide Equipment support to young Girls who have skills from Acquisition centres.
- Organized a 3 Day Training for 30 Health Workers from selected UNFPA supported Secondary and Primary Health facilities on Women’s Rights GBV and the management of medical consequences of GBV.
- Utilized Youth Groups to organize Quarterly Discussion forums on MM, RR, ASRH, HIV/AIDs and GE Using UNFPA Supported PHC in LGAs
- Vocational Skills Acquisition Training
- Registration of Women groups and Non Governmental Organisations.
- Partnering with Corporate Bodies for the improvement of the social-economic status of women.
- Commencement of another round of Vocational Skills Acquisition Training for 150 Young Women at the Ogun State Women Development Centre.
- 6th round of micro-credit scheme.
- Completion and representation of Gender Based Violence and Equal opportunity bills to the State House of Assembly.
- Renovation of Women Development Training Centre.
- Promoting Women participation in the forth coming general election.
- Production of posters and hand bills for Female Aspirants.
Mr. Adesina Hakeem Adetoye
- Welfare of Challenged Persons
- Welfare of Vagrants Lunatics/Destitute
- After-care services i.e. diligent follow-up to facilitate subsequent rehabilitation of Trained People with Disabilities (PWDs) as well as Vagrant Lunatics/Destitute
- Economic Empowerment for PWDs i.e Grant-in-aids.
- Provision of relief materials
- Sponsorship of PWDs for Vocational Training in order to reduce dependency and also discourage street begging.
- Rehabilitation of Vagrants Lunatics/Destitute, Refuges and Deportees.
- Unification of Redeemable Vagrants/Destitute with their relatives
- Unification of Evacuees with their respective family members
- Re-integration of physically challenged persons into society at large.
- Rescuing and Repatriation of Vagrant Lunatics/Destitute in Abeokuta Metropolis.
- Economic empowerment i.e. Provision of Grant-in-aids/Financial Assistance and Mobility Aids Appliances to People with Disabilities (PWD)
- Facilitation of Empowerment for PWDs.
- Facilitation of academic/vocational trainings of PWDs.
- Annual celebration of White Cane safety day.
- Skill Acquisition Training for Youth with Disabilities.
- Annual celebration of International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
- Provision of working tools for Ex-Beggars and Destitute.
- Raiding and Boarding of Vagrant Lunatics/Destitute.
- Raiding and Boarding of vagrants Lunatics/Destitute
- Review of Equal Opportunity Bill
- Construction of Rehabilitation Centre
- Financial Empowerment of PWDs(Grant-in-Aid)
- Extension of Rescuing/Raiding of Vagrant Lunatics/Destitute to other cities in the State (Ijebu-Ode,Sagamu,Ota e.t.c).