The monument was erected as a memorial to Olubiyi Akinrinlewo Sodeke as the paramount leader of the united Egba kingdom who was greatly and well received by the generality of his people, speaking the good of all and speaking peace to his people.
The God fearing leader received the missionaries from the United Kingdom (U.K) and the gospel message with joy. Thomas Birch Freeman a white missionary held the first ever Christian service in compound in September, 1842 and was followed by Henry Townsend in the same venue in January, 1843. Sodeke received the first bible ever given out by the missionaries in Nigeria.
He served the lord Jesus Christ with all of his heart until he breathes his last on the 10th day of January, 1845.