BRIEF ON THE MINISTRY
Ogun State Board of Internal Revenue was formally a division under the Ogun State Ministry of Finance. This will not be unconnected with the fact that the establishment of the Revenue Agency as a division under the Ministry of Finance was common practice when Ogun State was created in 1976. The Internal Revenue Division as at then was known as Board of Internal Revenue and was headed by a Director of Internal Revenue.
The Board of Internal Revenue was excised from the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning in August, 1994 with the deployment of a Director General to the Board as the Chairman.
This was sequel to the enactment of Personal Income Tax Act (PITA) of 1993 from which the board derived its existence.
The Board was formally established with effect from 30th September, 1996 through the enactment of Ogun State Internal Revenue Edict of 1996 dated 30th September, 1996 as N0 1 of 1997 published in the supplement of Ogun State of Nigeria gazette N0 1 Vol.22, 2nd January, 1997.
By virtue of personal Income Tax Act LFN 2004, as amended, the Board comprise Chairman, Directors from within or outside the state service and other members representing varied interests, while the operational arm is known as Ogun State internal Revenue service. The first Director or helmsman of OGIRS then known as Internal Revenue Division of Ogun State Ministry of Finance was Mr E.A Ogundalu, while the present Chairman/ Chief Executive is Mr Adekunle M. Adeosun.
HEADQUARTERS COMPLEX, OKE MOSAN ABEOKUTA.
P.M.B 2058, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, Ogun State
MR. ADEKUNLE M. ADEOSUN (08022907225)
To be the most outstanding Revenue Agency through commitment to tax efficiency in a friendly tax environment.
To help tax payers to discharge their tax obligations by providing efficient top quality service and applying the tax laws with integrity and fairness to all.
ENABLING LAW/TAXING POWERS
Ogun state being part and parcel of Nigeria federal system subscribed to two federal enactments for its operations. These are, the Personal Income Tax Act LFN 2004 as amended and the Taxes and Levies Approved List for Collection Act LFN 2005 which was recently amended by Taxes and Levies Approved list For Collection Act (Amendment Order, 2015 dated 26th May, 2015. The taxes and levies collectable by OGIRS pursuant to the above enactments are as follows:
- Personal income tax in respect of
- (i)Pay-As-You-Earn (PAYE) and
- (ii)Direct Taxation (Self-assessment).
- Withholding Tax(individual only)
- Capital Gains Tax(individual only)
- Stamp duties on instrument executed by individuals
- Pool betting and lotteries, gaming and casino taxes.
- Road taxes
- Hotel occupancy and restaurant consumption tax
- Development levy (individual only) not more than N100 per annum on all taxable individuals.
- The field officers in 34 tax offices and mini tax offices that would be opened soon are ever ready to attend promptly to tax payers.
- The corporate affairs, the OGIRS image maker is adequately equipped to feel the pulse of the public and attend to complaints and enquiries.
Contrary to the axiom, that to tax and please is not given to man; OGIRS in tandem with its vision and mission is poised to tax and please the tax payers.
In conclusion, the words of Benjamin Franklin are instructive; ‘In this world two things are certain; death and taxes.
MR DAHUNSI OGUNLEYE
- Providing centralized direction, support and leadership for the effective administration and operation of the agency;
- Chairman of Junior Staff Committee and Secretary/Secretariat to Management Meeting, Statutory Board Meeting, Tenders Board Meeting and Senior Staff Committee;
- Coordination of Manpower planning, recruitment, induction, confirmation, training, assessment and performance appraisal, leave, promotions, discipline (General Administration and Establishments matters);
- Formulation, execution and review of policies and programmes on Administrative and Human Resources Management;
- Implementation of all policies and programmes relating to administrative functions in line with the Public Service Rules and other extant regulations;
- Provision of essential and administrative support services;
- Making recommendations on general purpose duties and financial matters for the approval of the chairman;
- Responsible for Administrative Developmental Planning and Posting generally;
- Collect and collate data for the preparation of Manpower budget;
- Procure and store all necessary resources (material, machines etc.) in a transparent manner and ensure their cost effective usage;
- Secure and maintain all physical resources and ensure timely requisition when the need arises;
- Developing systems, procurement and structures of internal control relating human and physical resources;
- Inventory control of all organization’s resources including but not limited to offices, fixtures and fittings, vehicles etc;
- Preparation of Budget Estimates in relation to manpower needs;
- Pension and General Welfare Matters.
MR. OLUKUNLE SODEINDE
- Ensuring compliance with financial instructions and the accounting codes by all staff under his control and supervision;
- Advising the accounting officer and other Departmental Heads on all financial matters as well as technical provisions of financial Regulations and other Treasury and Finance Circulars;
- Maintaining proper records of accounts, such as Main and Subsidiary ledgers, cash book, DVEA book, Personal Advances, Ledger, etc;
- Ensuring prompt rendition of all Returns e.g. Consolidated Accounts (monthly transcripts), Bank Reconciliation Statements, Revenue and Expenditure Returns, Loans and Advances returns etc. as prescribed in Financial Institutions;
- As an integral part of the budgeting team, he is to ensure effective budgeting control by matching/ comparing budgeted figures with actual expenditure or Revenue as the case may be and advising the Accounting officer appropriately;
- Ensuring that all staff under his control are exposed to regular training programmes to prepare them for the efficient performance of their duties;
- Liaising with the Accountant- General from time to time when in doubt of the interpretation of the provisions of Financial Instructions and other Treasury Circulars or when confronted with difficulties in the performance of his duties;
- Ensuring the existence of an effective Audit Query Unit to promptly deal with all queries from Internal-Audit units, Inspectorate Department, Office of the Auditor-general and Public Accounts Committee and other such bodies;
- Ensuring the monies are collected as at when due and properly keeps record of accounts;
- Serving as a member of Departmental and Ministerial Tenders Board;
- Advising on the control and management of funds, investments, loans and guarantees of the Ministry/ Department;
- Assisting the Accounting officer in ensuring that integral guides, rules, regulations and procedures are adequately provided for and that the security and effective check on the assessment and collection and accounting for revenue are put in place;
- Ensuring timely preparation of Final Accounts/ Financial Statements;
- Preparation of OGIRS Revenue and Medium Term Sectorial Incentives/ Strategies for government approval;
- Distribution of approved budget among tax offices/units/departments;
- Monthly review/ analysis of Key Performance Indicators KPI reports of tax offices with the view to ascertain the level of performance;
- Monthly review/ analysis of OGIRS revenue performance highlighting the performance of offices/ units/departments and making suggestions for improved revenue;
- Involvement in meetings, seminars etc. or strategies to improve revenue;
- Advising and making suggestions to government on strategies to improve revenue;
MR. TAIWO OGUNDIMU
- General Administration an Coordination of activities under its department;
- Allocation of Tax Audit monitoring duties to Tax Audit Monitoring Agents (TAMA) to recover tax arrears;
- Issuance of demand notices to various organisations on Back Duty/ Tax Audit liabilities;
- Prompt resolution of issues on disputed assessment towards enhanced tax audit revenue;
- Liaising/ interfacing with organisations/ establishments such as Immigrations, BIRs of other states to procure tax related information;
- Advising Chairman on Strategies to improve tax audit revenue;
- To improve PIT revenue Effective application of personal income tax law (PITA) LFN 2004 as amended for interim Personal Income Tax Collector;
- Building of a robust data base of self-employed individuals/ informal sector;
- Issuance of minimum tax template to guide field officers towards optimum revenue collection;
- Organizing meetings with Associations and Professionals Groups to encourage voluntary compliance;
- Initiating Tax drive/ Tax compliance exercise to improve revenue;
- Advising the Chairman on Strategies;
- Administration and coordination of activities of Road Tax units/sections in OGIRS;
- Interfacing with Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) Vehicle Inspection Office (VIOs) Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Agency (TRACE) toward increasing Road Tax Revenue;
- Monitoring of Sales of number plates to prevent stack out and loss of revenue to neighbours;
- Registration of vehicles/ sales of number plates;
- Issuance and renewal of Vehicle licenses;
- Advising chairman on Strategies to prevent revenue leakage toward improved road tax revenue;
- Procurement/ purchase of Number plates at FIRS plant in Lagos;
MR. TEMIDAYO SOKUNBI
- Vetting and drafting of Legal documents
- Giving legal opinion and advice
- Representing the IRS on all legal issues
- Prosecuting tax defaulters at the Revenue or other courts
- Representing the IRS in all Court matters.
- Liaising with the Ministry of Justice on Legal issues concerning the IRS.
- Preparation and drafting of new Bills and amendments Bills to enhance tax administration and revenue generation in Ogun State.
- Liaising with the Nigeria Police Force, State Security Service and other like bodies on behalf of the IRS.
- Conducting pre-trial conference with witnesses and generally preparing for Court trials and arguments
- Research on Legal matters.